To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors, please abide by the following rules:
- All visitors, back packs, packages and vehicles are subject to search.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Visitors may bring their own food and non-alcoholic beverages to the Island. Grilling is permitted only in designated areas through the Trust’s online reservation system.
- All cyclists must operate their bicycles in a safe and responsible manner. Cyclists must follow all posted traffic signs, speed limits, and dismount areas. Cyclists must dismount and walk their bicycles on all ferries. Bicycles are only permitted to be locked at designated bicycle racks and may not be locked to fencing, benches, trees, or any other infrastructure or feature.
- Catch-and-release fishing is permitted for visitors over 16. A valid New York State fishing license is required.
- Visitors should follow all instructions from ferry staff, security, and emergency personnel while on the ferry, in any ferry waiting area, and while boarding the ferry. Visitors are not permitted to enter ferry ramps or marine loading areas unless directed by staff.
- All visitors must depart the Island on or before the departure of the last public ferry departing Governors Island each day.
- Governors Island is home to unique historic and natural resources. Entering buildings that are not open to the public and fenced-off or secured areas is prohibited. Removal of any artifacts or other materials found on the Island, including plantings, is strictly prohibited.
- In the event of an emergency, visitors must follow all directions from staff, security, and emergency personnel.
The following items may not be brought onto Governors Island:
- Alcoholic beverages, marijuana or any illegal substances
- Explosives, firearms and weapons of any kind
- Motorized vehicles, including motorized bicycles, scooters, or skateboards, with the exception pedal-assist e-bicycles, mobility scooters or motorized wheelchairs
- Pets or other animals. Service animals are permitted in accordance with New York State Law. Weekend Winter Dog Days ended for the season on April 30, 2023.
- Smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke
- Commercial activity or solicitation
- Picking flowers or plants
- Securing items to trees or buildings
- Feeding any animals in the park, including birds or squirrels
- Creating any disturbances, nuisances, or unsafe conditions
- Trespassing and entering restricted areas
- Consuming alcohol outside of designated areas
The Trust for Governors Island reserves the right to deny access to the Island or require a person to leave the Island if the Trust considers that the circumstances so require.
The Trust for Governors Island is committed to maintaining an open, transparent and engaging social media presence. Users are subject to community guidelines. The Trust for Governors Island reserves the right to remove the following content:
- Harassment, bullying, profanity, threatening language, discriminatory speech regarding topics of gender, sexual orientation, religion, gender identity, age, ethnic origin or race; sexist comments; hate speech; suggestion or encouragement of illegal activities; and demeaning remarks about personal appearance should be removed immediately.
- Spam or fraudulent content, including repetitive posts copied by a single user (or bot)
- Advertisements, commercial postings and solicitations
- Private correspondence between users or between user and Governors Island staff
- Posting personal information of other users or Governors Island staff including phone number, email address, or mailing address