Earth Day on Governors Island
Apr 22, 2023
Parade Ground - Parade Ground - Parade Ground
Celebrate Earth Day on Governors Island!
Back for its second year, this free day-long celebration of all things ecological will feature environmental education activities for all ages, guided tours of the Island’s climate-resilient landscapes and unique Urban Farm, a bird walk focused on early migratory birds passing through Governors Island, a hands-on workshop on making your own seed balls with the Trust’s horticulture team, insect ecology activities, free bike lessons with Bike New York, an immersive performance by artist Seung-Taek Lee, and more.
The Island will host morning volunteer projects and invites you to participate in hands-on, high-impact stewardship activities with Trust for Governors Island gardeners, Billion Oyster Project, National Park Service, Earth Matter, and the Bee Conservancy. Projects will focus on landscape care and are suitable for all ages and ability levels. Tools and materials will be provided.
EVENT SCHEDULE Events will take place at the Parade Ground unless otherwise noted. Pre-registration is recommended but not required for participating in volunteer projects, see link below.
- 10am- 10:30am: Volunteer project registration
- 10:30am — 12:30pm: Island-wide volunteer projects
- 11am — 2pm: Meet the Oysters with Billion Oyster Project, Nolan Park
- 1pm — Learn to Ride Kids Bike Class with Bike New York, The Oval.
- 1pm: Urban Farm Tour with Earth Matter NY, Urban Farm Gate 14
- 1 – 3pm: Climate Fresk Workshop, Lavender Field
- 1:30pm: Seeding Your Way to a Native Habitat: Seed Ball Workshop with the Trust for Governors Island Horticulture team, Parade Ground
- 2pm: The Earth Performance: Reenactment by Seung-Taek Lee/Canal Projects, Parade Ground
- 2pm: Early Migration Bird Walk with NYC Audubon, Soissons Landing.
- 2pm: Introduction to the Circular Economy with Circular Economy Manufacturing, Lavender Field
- 2pm: Insect Ecology Walk, Outlook Hill
- 2pm: Landscape Tour of The Hills with The Trust for Governors Island Horticulture team, Ballfields at the Play Lawns
Earth Day is co-presented by the Trust for Governors Island and the Friends of Governors Island.
Support for Earth Day on Governors Island is provided by AECOM.
See below for past programs and events on Governors Island.