Governors Island Working Dogs Max, Chip & Quinn can't wait to welcome dogs to Governors Island on Saturdays this winter.
Winter Dog Days at Governors Island
Dogs welcome Saturdays from 7am-3pm through April 30
Weekly on Saturday, starting from Jan 22, 2022, until May 1, 2022
Dogs are now allowed on Governors Island every Saturday from 7am-3pm through April 30. This seasonal pilot allows dogs, along with their human counterparts, to enjoy the Island’s incredible 172-acres, complete with car-free pathways, open fields and incredible views — along with a new, fenced-in dog park located behind Liggett Terrace and open Saturdays this winter from 7am-3pm. Unlike anywhere else in the city, Governors Island offers crowd-free areas for leashed dogs and their humans to enjoy the sights of New York Harbor, with plenty of room to explore.
Dog Days Rules:
- Dogs are only allowed on Governors Island on Saturdays from 7am-3pm during this winter season pilot. In accordance with NY State law, only service dogs are allowed on Governors Island other days and times.
- Dogs must remain on a leash, including while on Trust for Governors Island operated ferries.
- Dogs and their owners must ride in one of the outdoor sections of the ferry.
- No extra tickets or reservations are required for dogs on Trust for Governors Island operated ferries.
- Dogs are allowed to come over to Governors Island up until 3pm on Saturdays. Dogs that arrive before 3pm may remain on the Island until it closes. Dogs will not be allowed on Trust-operated Governors Island ferries after 3pm.
- Dogs are currently not allowed in indoor spaces on Governors Island.
- Dogs are only allowed off-leash in the designated dog park behind Liggett Terrace (click here for location on map). All dogs and their humans must adhere to the posted dog park rules (click here to view).
- You must pick up after your dog and place all dog waste in the landfill bins located around the Island — we’ll have bags available, but please bring your own just in case.
FOR NYC FERRY RIDERS: Only service animals are allowed on vessels operated by NYC Ferry. Dogs, with the exception of trained service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, are not permitted on NYC Ferry vessels unless they are in a pet carrier and/or muzzled.
While this will mark the first time Governors Island is open to the general dog population of New York City, a special crew of five working dogs have been running around the Island for six years. The Governors Island working dogs are trained to chase the geese off the Island without harming them, presenting a sustainable and effective solution to goose control. The team — Max, Chip, Quinn, Leader and Aspen — cannot wait to welcome the dogs of NYC to the Island.
A special thank you to Governors Island supporters, Julian Yap and Lauren Flicker-Yap, for helping make Winter Dog Days possible. Click here to learn about ways to support the Governors Island Working Dogs.
See below for past programs and events on Governors Island.