Governors Island Working Dogs Max, Chip & Quinn can't wait to welcome dogs to Governors Island on Saturdays & Sundays this winter.
Winter Dog Days at Governors Island
December 1-April 30
Open at all times
See the schedule for island hours.
Dogs are allowed on Governors Island daily from December 1 through April 30. This seasonal program allows dogs, along with their human counterparts, to enjoy the Island’s incredible 172-acres, complete with car-free pathways, open fields and incredible views — along with a fenced-in dog park located in Colonels Row this winter (opening December 1). Unlike anywhere else in the city, Governors Island offers crowd-free areas for leashed dogs and their humans to enjoy the sights of New York Harbor, with plenty of room to explore.
Dog Days Rules:
- Dogs are allowed on Governors Island daily beginning at 10am from December 1 to April 30. In accordance with NY State law, only service dogs are allowed on Governors Island other days and times.
- Dogs must remain on a leash, including while on Trust for Governors Island operated ferries.
- New in 2023: a free ticket add-on is required for visitors bringing their dogs over. This will be available for ferry tickets purchased at govisland.org/ferry beginning in December.
- Dogs are currently not allowed in indoor spaces on Governors Island.
- Dogs are only allowed off-leash in the designated dog park in Colonels Row, opening December 1. All dogs and their humans must adhere to the posted dog park rules (click here to view).
- Dogs must keep out of landscaped and planted areas.
- You must pick up after your dog and place all dog waste in the landfill bins located around the Island — we’ll have bags available, but please bring your own just in case.
See below for past programs and events on Governors Island.