Rules and Regulations
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors, please abide by the following rules:
- All visitors, back packs, packages and vehicles are subject to search.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Visitors may bring their own food and non-alcoholic beverages to the Island. Grilling is permitted only in designated areas through the Trust’s online reservation system.
- Catch-and-release fishing is permitted for visitors over 16. A valid New York State fishing license is required.
- Governors Island is home to unique historic and natural assets. Entering secured buildings and off-limit areas is not permitted. Do not remove any artifacts or other materials found on the Island.
The following items may not be brought onto Governors Island:
- Alcoholic beverages, marijuana or any illegal substances.
- Explosives, firearms and weapons of any kind.
- Motorized vehicles, including motorized bicycles, scooters, or skateboards, with the exception pedal-assist e-bicycles.
- Pets or other animals. Service dogs are permitted in accordance with NY State law.
- Drones, except by permit for film and photography purposes.
- Smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke.
- Commercial activity or solicitation.
- Picking flowers or plants.
- Feeding any animals in the park, including birds or squirrels.
The Trust for Governors Island reserves the right to deny access to the Island or require a person to leave the Island if the Trust considers that the circumstances so require.
The Trust for Governors Island is committed to maintaining an open, transparent and engaging social media presence. Users are subject to community guidelines. The Trust for Governors Island reserves the right to remove the following content:
- Harassment, bullying, profanity, threatening language, discriminatory speech regarding topics of gender, sexual orientation, religion, gender identity, age, ethnic origin or race; sexist comments; hate speech; suggestion or encouragement of illegal activities; and demeaning remarks about personal appearance should be removed immediately.
- Spam or fraudulent content, including repetitive posts copied by a single user (or bot)
- Advertisements, commercial postings and solicitations
- Private correspondence between users or between user and Governors Island staff
- Posting personal information of other users or Governors Island staff including phone number, email address, or mailing address