Film & Photography
Interested in filming on Governors Island? Governors Island's unique location and environment make it an excellent canvas for film, television, and photo shoots. Past shoots include major productions for NBC Universal, Apple TV, Bravo, CBS, and more.
Located in the heart of the New York Harbor, the 172-acre island is five minutes away from Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and offers spectacular views of the New York City skyline, an expansive park, and a picturesque historic campus.
Films and production companies are welcome to make an appointment with the Trust to come and scout locations. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee you will be granted a permit.
- Applications must be submitted 1-2 weeks in advance of shoots that have larger scale production needs and/or vehicle access.
- Film or photo shoot dates cannot be placed on hold until the initial review process has begun.
- Date(s) and location(s) are only confirmed once all relevant paperwork has been received, signed and approved.
- Costs beyond site fees are determined according to the details in your application. The more detailed your application, the quicker and more accurately The Trust can estimate your costs.
Sample Programs that would require a Film & Photography Permit:
Filming a movie/TV show
Magazine or fashion shoot
Back to Dashboard
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Apply For PermitApply For Permit
Have more questions before applying? Read through these FAQs, or check out our Rules and Regulations.
Program and event organizers must pre-register vehicles for ferry access at least 48 hours in advance. There is limited capacity for vehicle access to Governors Island and any vehicles must be transporting materials necessary to the events’ productions. Personal vehicles are not permitted for any reason.
No, drones are not permitted on Governors Island.